This coming Summer will see an exciting adventure for Rockford Manor as a selected group of 5th year students and teachers will travel to Zambia as part of the Global Education Project.
This project offers senior students an opportunity to help children in the developing world alongside Presentation Sisters and their co-workers. It is designed to develop an awareness of social justice issues and an understanding among our students about the inequalities in the world today.
The nine carefully selected students will visit Kaoma, Zambia and be placed in three different schools. The girls will teach Maths, English, Geography, History and share music by way of a cultural exchange. Furthermore, they will participate in community projects such as an organic farm and learn about sustainable living.
Rockford Manor became involved with the Global Education Project 10 years ago. The last trip to Zambia in 2008 was a terrific success and one which helped the community of Kaoma, Zambia in particular.
Our former students have kindly offered to support our second trip and will help in our quest for fundraising and sponsorship. They intend to also support our students in their preparation for this project.
What have we done so far?
- May 13th 2017 – Past pupils and teachers hosted a stand at the Deansgrange Community Exhibition.
- July 2017 – Inspection trip to Zambia (Ms. Keane & Ms. Whyte).
- Visit to 4 schools that Rockford students will work closely with.
- Content was discussed with School Principals and a module for each school was decided. Rockford students will learn how to facilitate these lessons during the academic year with guidance from their teachers.
- Visit to projects set up by the Presentation Sisters in Kaoma (Nano farm & The Garden of Oneness)
- October 10th 2017 – Cake Sale in aid of mission Zambia
- November 2017 – DVD of Rhythm of Rockford on sale (All Proceeds to Mission Zambia)
The entire school community and parish are supporting this project. Our target is €28,000. We are organising many fundraising activities over the coming months of which this Raffle is one.
What can you do to help?
The Rockford community will need as much support as possible and several fundraising events will take place throughout the coming academic year to raise money and awareness for this charitable excursion. Anyone who is interested in sponsoring should contact the school or they can donate through our Go Fund Me page at www. gofundme.com/rockfordmanorzambia18.
We are so excited to embark on this wonderful journey and thank you in advance for your generosity.